• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Research block

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scgradstudent

scgradstudent

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Hi,

I'm in a situation that no scientist really wants to be in. I'm currently a graduate student in a microbial ecology program, and I'm having trouble coming up with a new research topic. I've had projects in the past, but they failed me for various reasons. I'm currently trying to come up with a new research proposal, but for some reason I just can't formulate any good ideas/questions/hypotheses. I don't really know what to do and I need to have a plan ASAP. Has anyone experience this before? Do you have any helpful tips? Thank you

#2 BIOmotion

BIOmotion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Is there a certain subject you would like to stay within? i.e fungus, bacteria, etc.

#3 scgradstudent

scgradstudent

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Is there a certain subject you would like to stay within? i.e fungus, bacteria, etc.

bacteria...the lab I'm currently in most of our research is based out of the salt marsh. We (as a lab) has focused mostly on plant-bacteria interactions and bacteria in burrows.

#4 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:03 PM

Why don't you talk to your supervisor? He or she has a bigger picture of the goal of the research and should be able to assist you to get back on the track.
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#5 96well

96well

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

Perhaps you need to be inspired, have a look at lateral Pubmed, it would be a way nourish your creativity.
Nature magazine. Do you qualify for a free subscription?

#6 BIOmotion

BIOmotion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

I know Fungus interacts with bacteria a lot. Look into some subjects with Fungus. (I'm currently researching on fungus with windshield wiper fluid for cars)

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

bacteria:
Quorum sensing
Biofilm
Drug resistance

or you can try to find out how about the occurrence of New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase NDM-1 in your backyard....
etc...
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#8 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

How about the change of storm sewer microflora in response to a contaminant (e.g. antifreeze or sidewalk deicer)?

If you need an excuse to practice your chipping, how about doing something with water hazards on golf courses?

Edited by lab rat, 08 November 2010 - 05:41 PM.

42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.