• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How much does a microarray experiment cost?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

This is a pretty nooby question, but how much does a typical microarray experiment cost, supposing you wanted to assess differences in gene expression between two/three/four samples? Are there cheaper versions which assses fewer genes (e.g. genes known or suspected to be involved in muscle growth, maintenance, differentiation etc)?

I used to think it was about €12000 but maybe prices have come down since then or maybe I was just mistaken? I'm not planning a microarray but it would be useful to know how accessible the technology is.

#2 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

No replies? Is that because it's a stupid question? Or there are too many factors to go into?

#3 BioBM

BioBM

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

There are a lot of variables that can effect the cost of the a microarray service (technology and / or method used, genome size, how many replicate runs you want, etc, etc, etc...), but just to give a very rough and general range I would say from $2000 to $30000 (in the US, that is). I'm not sure if the cost in the E.U. would be as simple as a dollar to euro conversion, but I would assume it wouldn't be too far off since access should be somewhat global seeing as how you can fedex your samples just about anywhere.
Posted Image
BioBM™ Consulting - www.biobm.com - twitter: @BioBM

#4 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

Thanks, BioBM!

#5 96well

96well

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

If you want to assess fewer genes (i.e. pathway oriented) I will rather check current qPCR machines performing 1536 reactions in <0.5 uL each.
Nature magazine. Do you qualify for a free subscription?

#6 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

If you want to assess fewer genes (i.e. pathway oriented) I will rather check current qPCR machines performing 1536 reactions in <0.5 uL each.

Yeah, I think so too :/

1536-well plates? That's a lot of pipeting!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.