• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Low transformation efficiency

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi All,

Sorry for the lengthy question. This question had troubled me for quite sometime.

Lately I had transformed one of my recombinant clones (in pet46 vector) into Rosetta-gami™ 2(DE3)pLysS Competent Cells. I found that it had low transformation efficiency , <20cfu per plate [relatively low, as I concurrently transformed with rosetta-gami B(DE3) plyss, and BL21(DE3)], and after I had stocked it in 20% glycerol stock, I find it very hard to revive the recombinant strain, even with and without the presence of antibiotics in the culture media.

Same recombinant vector was transformed in rosetta-gami B(DE3) plyss, BL21 (DE3) and NovaBlue Giga singles, but I got no issues at all. All protocols was standard protocol from manufacturer Merck, fresh newly purchased Carbenicillin, agar LB etc.

I had asked the Merck local technical support, and their reply was:

"pLysS containing hosts express Lysozyme, they are much less stable in glycerol stocks in the freezer after they are transformed. These hosts should be thawed only once and should be used for protein expression after transformation, but not be stored in glycerol stocks for future protein expression."

How true is that?

So my question was:
1) is this also happen to you as well that Rosetta-gami 2(DE3) plyss competent cells is relatively harder to transform?
2) is this also happen to you as well that the recombinant strain are hard to revive from glycerol stock?
3) if I were to store the recombinant strain for future use, what would be the best method?
4) possible for me to manually grow "Rosetta-gami 2(DE3) plyss", and make it competent by my self using Cacl2 method?

Billion Thanks for your answer and sharing.

Adrian
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#2 protolder

protolder

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 293 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

Hola Adrian, Iīm continuosly expressing some kinases in rosetta gami DE3 plys and I haven,t any problems.Iīm sure that you have a constitutive expression of your protein in the three strains that you use because the repression in them isnīt very effective. Make a master culture with LB and a bit of glucose (0.2 g/l) grow short time untill OD 1-1.5 and concentrate by centrifugation ,if you want, before adding glycerol to frezzing. Of course that you can prepare your own competents bacteria from any strain. In fact, mines, were given for other lab and I make my competents for electroporate. Check phenotypes and add antibiotics at the culture for make comp.in order to mantain episome. Good luck

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, Just curious, are you using:
rosetta gami B DE3 plyss
or
rosetta gami 2 DE3 plyss

Thanks
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

#4 protolder

protolder

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 293 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, Just curious, are you using:
rosetta gami B DE3 plyss
or
rosetta gami 2 DE3 plyss

Thanks

Hola again Adrian Iīm using rosetta-gami DE3 pLysS nor B nor 2, and checking my expressions there isnīt costitutive expression in lb glucose, because Iīm repressing by glucose and lacIq of episome. In your other cases BL21 and Rosette gami " you havenīt lac Iq and could have constitutive expression. Good luck

#5 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:10 AM

Hi protolder,
Thanks for your prompt reply but however my problem is not with the expression issue. I have problem with the transformation and glycerol stock revival.

#6 protolder

protolder

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 293 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:41 AM

Hi protolder,
Thanks for your prompt reply but however my problem is not with the expression issue. I have problem with the transformation and glycerol stock revival.

Yes, I know. the efficiency depends of the lot of competents because the pure plasmid has been obtained in other subcloning strain. if you make and stock with a culture expressing recombinant protein (unless uninduced) , depending of the protein the culture loses viability and frezzing and tawing means a little part of viable bacteria.

Cheers

#7 ntgxw

ntgxw

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

I started to use rosetta-gami B DE3 pLysS competent cells for transformation and further expression. I met the same problem that the revival from glycerol stock failed. I do not know why....

#8 Adrian K

Adrian K

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

I started to use rosetta-gami B DE3 pLysS competent cells for transformation and further expression. I met the same problem that the revival from glycerol stock failed. I do not know why....

can you tell me which batch of RG B(DE3) plyss competent cell you are using? maybe ours were in the same batch.

#9 ntgxw

ntgxw

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

can you tell me which batch of RG B(DE3) plyss competent cell you are using? maybe ours were in the same batch.

I tried again by thawing the stock completely rather than inoculating the surface to revive the cells. And it worked. Now I am doing expression assay.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.