• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

TSB growth problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fatmax

Fatmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

Hello all,

We have difficulties growing MRSA in our lab. We spike 75mL of TSB with MRSA and place it in shaking incubator set at 36C and 200RPM. In parallel, we spike a TSA with the same MRSA and it grows.
We've also tried with Nutrient Broth but with no success
We also have contamination problem in the shaking incubator with other bacteria.

We never had difficulty growing MRSA before.

Please help because I don't understand!

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

Hello all,

We have difficulties growing MRSA in our lab. We spike 75mL of TSB with MRSA and place it in shaking incubator set at 36C and 200RPM. In parallel, we spike a TSA with the same MRSA and it grows.
We also have contamination problem in the shaking incubator with other bacteria.

My first impression was to re-confirm the strain, do a 16s or other PCR and sequencing work to confirm that it is MRSA and not other bacteria. Do antibiotics sensitivity test to reconfirm as well.
I suspect that your stock culture was contaminated.
Also, Try to grow in TSB with antibiotics.

And: this article might help
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2566123/
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 Fatmax

Fatmax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hello all,

My first impression was to re-confirm the strain, do a 16s or other PCR and sequencing work to confirm that it is MRSA and not other bacteria. Do antibiotics sensitivity test to reconfirm as well.
I suspect that your stock culture was contaminated.
Also, Try to grow in TSB with antibiotics.

And: this article might help
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2566123/

Thanks for the info.
Since we don't have a PCR, we use the BBL crystal system to confirm the identification of our microorganism used in our lab
On the other hand, it might be time for us to re-order a culture from ATCC, we re-hydrate a strain every 3 months but we've been using the Cryobank beads for quite some time now (at least 4 years).

Thanks again
Max

#4 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

You are welcome. Wish you all the best. Good luck.

Adrian
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.