• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

pGL3 promoter vector

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 liz_ibg

liz_ibg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

I am using a pGL3 promoter vector for our DNA plasmids. Will someone please explain how the SV40 promoter works and why this vector would of been chosen over the basic pGL3 vector?

#2 KevinK

KevinK

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

I am using a pGL3 promoter vector for our DNA plasmids. Will someone please explain how the SV40 promoter works and why this vector would of been chosen over the basic pGL3 vector?

Hello liz_ibg,
The pGl3 Promoter Vector contains the SV40 promoter but not the enhancer. This vector is typically used to study upstram (or downstream) enhancer elements, but not promoters as there is already a promoter, TATA box and other elements to run basic transcription. The pGL3 basic vector contains no promoter or enhancer elements, so all of the basic transcroption sequences would need to be present to get luciferase actiivty, as would be the case if you cloned a promoter or putative promoter.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please don't hesitate to contact Promega Technical Services if you should ahve additional quesitons or feel free to contact me.

Kevin
Promega Corporation
Madison, WI

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.