• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Varied resolution in the same gel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hi all.

I am facing this problem when I run a large gel. The sample loaded in the upper part of the gel are fine and have a good resolution, while those loaded in the lower lanes resolve badly. All samples come from the same PCR setup run at one time.
I have run the left over PCR products (of the bad resolution ones) on a fresh (smaller)gel and the resolution is good.

Help needed. I am bored of running the same samples twice.

Attached Files

Edited by gt_ameya, 14 October 2010 - 10:20 PM.

NEW!!!!  RotM: Interview with Prof. Kenro Kusumi on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#2 ElHo

ElHo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:51 AM

Do you use different comb types for both parts of the gel? Because the upper pockets look thinner and longer compared to the lower ones. If possible take the type of comb with thinner teeth for both parts of the gel. Thinner pockets permit less sample diffusion resulting in sharper bands after elecrophoresis.

#3 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:46 AM

Do you use different comb types for both parts of the gel? Because the upper pockets look thinner and longer compared to the lower ones. If possible take the type of comb with thinner teeth for both parts of the gel. Thinner pockets permit less sample diffusion resulting in sharper bands after elecrophoresis.

Yes, we use different comb types. But they have always given good bands, until i recently made fresh TBE buffer (checked online for recipe and made no mistakes).

NEW!!!!  RotM: Interview with Prof. Kenro Kusumi on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.