• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to deal with truncated mRNA or mRNA that has secondary structure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

I got band of unexpected size (100bp) from 5' RACE (using SMARTer RACE kit from Clontech) using cDNA as template, which is suppose to be 1kbp. It seems that it might due to high secondary structure in mRNA or the mRNA is truncated. I don't understand what is truncated and secondary structure. I tried using 1st strand cDNAs synthesized by oligo dT and random primer and the results were the same. I've also tried 3 different primers and still, same problem.

Basically i am running .

Edited by hianghao, 14 October 2010 - 01:58 AM.

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,201 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:05 AM

Unresolved secondary structure in mRNA would IMHO prevent amplification at all, not create a smaller product.
I don't know details of your kit, but in my kit 5' RACE oligo is ligated only to a intact GTP head (if I remember it right) so fragmented mRNA wouldn't amplify.
So if your kit wirks the same and all steps were done right, there still remains possibility, that apart from your expected 1kb transcript there is another one, which is smaller and so your PCR is correct.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 111 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

Unresolved secondary structure in mRNA would IMHO prevent amplification at all, not create a smaller product.
I don't know details of your kit, but in my kit 5' RACE oligo is ligated only to a intact GTP head (if I remember it right) so fragmented mRNA wouldn't amplify.
So if your kit wirks the same and all steps were done right, there still remains possibility, that apart from your expected 1kb transcript there is another one, which is smaller and so your PCR is correct.

Thanks for replying. But i really doubt that the smaller transcript exist. Are you using Clontech kit as well?

Edited by hianghao, 14 October 2010 - 03:52 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.