• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Alternative to Excel for charts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:52 AM

Hi all,

I am about to start writing the Results section of my PhD and I have like a hundred data plots that I would need to insert.
My data is in MS Excel (2007), but I feel the default charts in Excel are as someone said "what were they smoking when they made them??" ugly. So I either learn to batch format my plots in Excel (any ideas?) or find an application that has a bit more versatility. So my question is what do you use in these circumstances?
I use Windows XP or Ubuntu, so anything compatible with either would be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Miha

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,805 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

i haven't used it, but, how about sigmaplot?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,539 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Sigmaplot is a good program. Origin even better, though both are not free...
If you use Excel graphs, I won't use default ones, but change them in a way that they look at least almost professional.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#4 than4

than4

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

We use Graphpad (Prism) but our University has a licence. It is easy in that you can paste in the data from excel directly into it and then just make your graphs. It will also run statistical tests on your data for you.
You can format the graphs in Excel to make them look more professional if you can't find another software package.

#5 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 236 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as licences are concerned we have to have everything by the book (no single licence for multiple users thing that is pretty common in other labs), therefore I would like something that we either already have e.g. Excel or something that is open source. I have since posting my message been doing a lot of tinkering with Excel graphs and with the help of a few macros I think I can maybe even make it work.

#6 semin

semin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Gnuplot or R. Both of them take some time to learn, but the time and effort is well worthy.

#7 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

My vote goes to 'Qtplot', you will find in Ubuntu Software Centre. You can copy-paste data from OpenCal also.
Simple living, highnot thinking

#8 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

graphpad is quiet good. One can do lots of complex stuff with this.

#9 96well

96well

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

Personally I prefer GraphPad PRISM. But, if you just need histograms or scatter plots, with some hard formatting you can get decent graphs in Excel also. The trick is, once you have your best graph, to duplicate the sheet and the pasting new data. Have you tried Google docs? Graphs are quite similar to excel but with a nicer formatting.
Nature magazine. Do you qualify for a free subscription?

#10 BioMiha

BioMiha

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 236 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

In the end I decided to record a couple of macros for Excel that helped me achieve the same formatting for all my graphs. I had a look at Gnuplot and R but had no time to learn to use the software.

#11 K.B.

K.B.

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 174 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:49 AM

I'm another person to recommend GraphPad Prism - it has some nice tools for data manipulation, easy statistical analysis, makes neat graphs and what is useful - it allows you to export them to format like TIFF required by most of journals.

BioMiha - why macros? Format one graph and copy it, then just change the source data for the copies, formatting would stay the same.

#12 davidiphone5

davidiphone5

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

I'm using more every time online alternatives such as Google docs or Zoho docs. It has not so much features but its so good for typical work.

#13 hidayahhh

hidayahhh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

i got data for mtt assay using 96 wells.
can anybody guide me how to use graph pad prism to plot my graph and to determine EC50. anyone can help?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.