• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Is it bad to publish twice in a row in the same journal?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 microphobe

microphobe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hi,

I published a paper last year in a fairly good journal (impact factor 9). I am having difficulty thinking of another journal that is exactly suited to my work so I'm considering submitting there again this year. Of course I could try to 'spin' it for a more generalized journal but I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort.

It is true that it will look bad on my CV if I publish twice in a row in the same place? (I am a post-doc in academia)

Edited by microphobe, 30 September 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#2 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:39 AM

I do not think so; unless your PI is editor of the journal or someone else of your dept. is very close to the journal, this would look like nepotism. If your work fits well within the scope of the journal and it has a good reputation (supposing from the IF) I would not think there is a problem in publishing there more than once.

Hi,

I published a paper last year in a fairly good journal (impact factor 9). I am having difficulty thinking of another journal that is exactly suited to my work so I'm considering submitting there again this year. Of course I could try to 'spin' it for a more generalized journal but I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort.

It is true that it will look bad on my CV if I publish twice in a row in the same place? (I am a post-doc in academia)

A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#3 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

I wouldnt mind to publish two or three times in a row in Nature or Science.... :lol:

Yeah, it is not problem at all

Edited by laurequillo, 30 September 2010 - 04:53 AM.

"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#4 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,321 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:34 AM

no problem at all...

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#5 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Ditto.

IF 9 is pretty cool. If you think your paper has a chance, go for it. I had a colleague who used to tell me to start as high as possible. He said that if your paper gets accepted right away in an average journal, it means that maybe you could have chosen a better journal. I don't know. I guess it depends on several factors, one being: how much in a hurry are you?
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#6 microphobe

microphobe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

Well, I don't want to end up like your avatar before I get it out there :lol:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I submitted yesterday... now I just have to resist checking the manuscript status every two hours :unsure:

Edited by microphobe, 02 November 2010 - 11:31 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.