• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Looking for recommendation for total RNA extraction kit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

Previously i used Vivantis extraction kit. But the 260 abs was only 0.001-0.006! Therefore i used hot phenol method for my extraction and the conc is satisfying. However, its very time consuming and relatively more danger. I am going to extract total RNA from 20 strains of mosquitoes and i don't want to do 20 times hot phenol extraction! Any suggestion for RNA extraction kits that yield high conc of RNA?

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

Previously i used Vivantis extraction kit. But the 260 abs was only 0.001-0.006! Therefore i used hot phenol method for my extraction and the conc is satisfying. However, its very time consuming and relatively more danger. I am going to extract total RNA from 20 strains of mosquitoes and i don't want to do 20 times hot phenol extraction! Any suggestion for RNA extraction kits that yield high conc of RNA?

Not tried on mosquito before, but i do use of TRIZOL for my RNA extraction.

(Update) Try to contact the vivantis manufacturer for clarification of the low yield. You should know who to contact if you purchase it from Malaysia.

Edited by adrian kohsf, 26 September 2010 - 08:02 AM.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

Not tried on mosquito before, but i do use of TRIZOL for my RNA extraction.

(Update) Try to contact the vivantis manufacturer for clarification of the low yield. You should know who to contact if you purchase it from Malaysia.

Well, i've called. They just ask me to increase the sample size. I used 30mg of mosq as that was the max that can be accommodated by a tube. I used more samples and it won't work. So i ended up using the conventional way.

#4 chromatin

chromatin

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

Ambion has good RNA products. Also, you may want to try Trizol extraction. Good luck.
http://www.bioprotocols.info/reagent_and_buffer_recipes/index.php

#5 nchao

nchao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

Bio-Synthesis, Inc. offers a variety of RNA purification kits.
Please see the following link for a list of items:
http://www.biosyn.co...id=SP&catid=383

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.