• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Modified PBS buffer for red blood cells washing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hi all,

A 1 liter 1X PBS solution consist of 8g of NaCl, 0.2g of KCl, 1.44g of Na2HPO4, 0.24g of KH2PO4

I plan to use it for washing my red blood cells.
However, I am lack of NaCl at the moment and have CaCl2 on hand.

If I were to replace NaCl with CaCl2,
should I go with equal weight (replace 8g of NaCl with 8g CaCl2), or equal molarity, in order to avoid hemolysis of my blood cells?

I'm unable to experiment it because I do not have spare blood samples.

Let me know how you think.

Thanks. ^_^
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,781 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

cacl2 is not a substitute for nacl. ca can effect reactions on which nacl has little or no effect (eg- proteolysis).

you may be able to substitute kcl for nacl but kcl may cause its own problems. your best bet is to find some nacl (from another lab, from the supermarket (without iodine)).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi MD,
Thanks for your reply...
guess i have to do shopping now..LOL
order chemicals takes months to arrive here... geezz
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.