• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Can a single colony contains more than 2 types of insert in their plasmids?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

I ran a pcr using degen primers and cloned my pcr products. Because i used degen primers, there will be a few different sequences in my product (my interest gene is from a superfamily), say: sequence A, B, and C, that are 50% similar in sequence and almost the same length.
After cloning, will each colony contain only 1 of 3 types of sequence? How does this happen?
Or A,B,C can present in a single colony? IF this is the case, how should i sequence it??

#2 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

it took me couple of minutes to think about your question but I couldn't come up with a good answer, it is a very technical question. However any colony grows from a single transformed bacteria. To me it sounds very unlikely to have A, B and C in the same colony.

just grow the colony in broth, extract with a reliable extraction kit and send for sequencing.

#3 hianghao

hianghao

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

it took me couple of minutes to think about your question but I couldn't come up with a good answer, it is a very technical question. However any colony grows from a single transformed bacteria. To me it sounds very unlikely to have A, B and C in the same colony.

just grow the colony in broth, extract with a reliable extraction kit and send for sequencing.

But if the colony contains 2 sequence, its quite impossible to sequence the 2 sequences from it, right? If i am not wrong, E coli is able to pick up more than 1 plasmid so why it is unlikely to have A, B and C in the same colony?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.