• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

contamination in kanamycin plate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deespike

deespike

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

HI all

i have been doing transformation with a kanamycin resistant plasmid into dh5alpha cells , but each time i get white colonies and not the translucent type dh5alpha colonies, to check them i grew them in ampicillin and there was no growth so i confirmed that its having the kanamycin resistant plasmid. After isolating the plasmid i found the conentration to be very less .

Can anyone plz suggest how to get rid of these colonies growing over dh5alpha?

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

HI all

i have been doing transformation with a kanamycin resistant plasmid into dh5alpha cells , but each time i get white colonies and not the translucent type dh5alpha colonies, to check them i grew them in ampicillin and there was no growth so i confirmed that its having the kanamycin resistant plasmid. After isolating the plasmid i found the conentration to be very less .

Can anyone plz suggest how to get rid of these colonies growing over dh5alpha?

Just a quick note: you tested the cells by growing them in ampicillin to confirm they are having the kanamycin resistant plasmid? I do not understand this.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 microgirl

microgirl

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 122 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

The plasmid probably has both an amp and a kan resistance cassette.

#4 microgirl

microgirl

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 122 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Sounds like your competent cells may be contaminated with something that's kan resistant. Try a new competent cell prep?

#5 Ameya P

Ameya P

Rervm Cognoscere Cavsas

• Moderators
  • 333 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Well, you cant say that cells are Km resistant when they do not grow over Amp.
I think your Km is too old and not very effective thereby allowing other cells to grow.

If not, then your competent cells are contaminated.

So, get Km from a different lab and plate your cells. You should then just get cells which contain the plasmid.

NEW!!!!  Wonder why this was not part of Chemistry class, ever!  on CoffeeTableScience!!!!

Image copyright: Adrian Koh SF.
Replication of this art is strictly prohibited without express permission of the artist

#6 deespike

deespike

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for your replies.

I will test kanamycin again. I have tested the competent cells they are not contaminated but still as the same thing happens so i will change the kanaycin.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.