• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

real time PCR inhibition control

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yaeli

yaeli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

Hello,

I use real time PCR for the quantification of invironmental samples.
These samples contain many inhibitors and I wish to add a control test that varify the presence of inhibitors left
after the DNA purification.
I heard there is an "alien" probe sequence that is being used which suppose not to accure in any creature genomic DNA
known in the NCBI database.
I undersatnd that poeple use this sequence instead of there own probe sequence between the same specific primers they designed.

If anybody know how to get to these sequences or have any other good test for the persence of inhibitor I would love to hear about it.

Thank you so much!

#2 ElHo

ElHo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:25 AM

You could try a dilution series of your samples. PCR efficieny should increase with higher dilution factors as you will also dilute potential inhibitors.

#3 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Yes, you need an IPC (internal positive control). If you don't want to make it yourself, you can buy a kit from ABI that has everything in it.
One of my student works on soil samples and I know how problematic the inhibitors are.
ABI also developed a TaqMan assay especially for this type of environmental samples (the Taq had an extra purification step so it's not contaminated by bacterial DNA).

Edited by Maddie, 15 September 2010 - 06:33 AM.

Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#4 tea-test

tea-test

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Good

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:36 PM

hi, maybe this paper is useful, a sequence for an internal positive control is included.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16524557
tea-test: The artist formerly known as Ned Land

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.