• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

cloning of an operon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chn09

chn09

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

Dear friends

Im trying to clone and express the riboflavin biosynthesis operon in E. coli. There are 4 overlapping genes and each contains it start and stop codon, and the total length of this is 8 kb. Is it possible to amplify 8 kb using Pfu?. Also is is possible to clone the operon in pET30 plasmid and express in E. coliBL21?
Please help

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hi, for your first part of question, I had used novagen KOD hotstart and cloned a 9kb genes before. If your Pfu can't make it you shall try KOD hotstart as It also have the proof reading capability.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:07 AM

I don't have too much experience with Pfu, but 8 kb is not that big -- I cloned a 15 kb operon using Hi-Fi Taq -- so it's possible. I don't understand why you're using a his-tag vector/strain system for this, but the PCR product is able to be cloned into any appropriately prepared vector. Whether it will be expressed in any given recipient strain of E. coli is dependent on whether it'll be toxic to the cell.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.