• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Is this consider smearing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stagius24

stagius24

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:06 AM

http://info.med.yale.../tavi/2buff.JPG

Basically, the same pcr reaction was run at 2 different buffer. When using 1.6x PCR product, the rxn yeild more DNA but result in big smearing .. I wondered if this is ok in cloning or not. (Let say there is one band with big smear above and below) . Should I try to gel purify or ignore this smear and proceed to cloning..

Thank you,

#2 donny

donny

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

http://info.med.yale.edu/genetics/ward/tavi/2buff.JPG

Basically, the same pcr reaction was run at 2 different buffer. When using 1.6x PCR product, the rxn yeild more DNA but result in big smearing .. I wondered if this is ok in cloning or not. (Let say there is one band with big smear above and below) . Should I try to gel purify or ignore this smear and proceed to cloning..

Thank you,

The "smear" could just be because there's more DNA so they are more obvious than those on the right. If you run less of your product, you probably won't see the smear. I would gel purify for cloning regardless. My 2c.

#3 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Looks ok for me.

If this "smearing" is a reason not to use the products... I would had to trow away almost 99% of my samples :rolleyes:

And yes: you need to do a gel purify and maybe even an ethanolprecipitation for cloning anyway.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.