• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

verifying a positive transformant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhythmgenes

rhythmgenes

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I wanted to sequence a size selected fragmented cDNA library (150-350 bps). I ligated the fragment into a PCR blunt vector (Invitrogen) and transformed into a DH5alpha1 cells. I did a blue-white screening on LB+Amp plates. Now my question is how can I identify the vector with my insert of interest? Do I randomly select a restriction enzyme and see if the restriction pattern is different between blue and white colonies. The fragmented cDNA library has been created from total RNA. Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,738 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Colony PCR? Have one primer in the plasmid, the other in your target gene and amplify - ones which don't amplify don't contain the target gene.

#3 rhythmgenes

rhythmgenes

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Colony PCR? Have one primer in the plasmid, the other in your target gene and amplify - ones which don't amplify don't contain the target gene.

Thank you for your suggestion.

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

The classical approach would be a colony blot followed by hybridization with a labeled probe. These days, if you just want sequence, it might be more effective to sequence your entire library and select the piece you want. You could then synthesize it rather than isolating it.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.