• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

+/- rating system

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

Hi Biofourm,

is there a chance that the +/- rating for posts will be activated?

It would be very useful to strengthen very good answers. Often topics are sufficiently answered already with one single answer that needs nothing to add, but when a second user rates the answer as "+" this would add more impact and vice versa (although of course when rating an answer as "-" everybody should argument this and give a better one).

Thanks!

edit: bad spelling day

Edited by gebirgsziege, 25 August 2010 - 10:41 PM.

A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hi Biofourm,

is there a chance that the +/- rating for posts will be activated?

It would be very useful to strengthen very good answers. Often topics are sufficiently answered already with one single answer that needs nothing to add, but when a second user rates the answer as "+" this would add more impact and vice versa (although of course when rating an answer as "-" everybody should argument this and give a better one).

Thanks!

edit: bad spelling day

I see where you are going to, but on the other hand: if someone read an answer and sees this as correct: he or she can easly type: or agree or...

If the user doenst do this, I doubt he or she would be willing to push some + button too..

Another problem would be the fact that if its like you say then no one will know who pushed the + button.. any fool can push it... or any idiot can push the - button.

Maybe an alternative would be that people can push a + button stating they agree and that you see their name (lets say, if you push the + button it simply shows a very short message: user XXX agrees with...).

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Another problem would be the fact that if its like you say then no one will know who pushed the + button.. any fool can push it... or any idiot can push the - button.

Trust pito to always tell it like it is.....:P...

hi gebZ, wasn't Curtis suggesting something similar a while back i.e., to rate the answers/posters (?) like they do in yahoo? This positive feedback and affirming of very good/helpful answers is not a bad idea imho (or in some forums they’d state how many times the poster was thanked)...but if we start implementing this +/- rating then it would feel like an exam every time you give a reply.

And some replies are not outright wrong but just need to be teased out and the more knowledgeable and experienced members can always chip in. This rating system is double-edged: on one hand, it will induce members to come up with well-thought out posts/replies but otoh, this might inhibit some others for even trying esp if they are just throwing ideas around or trying to help out with the little that they know...

and I like pito’s suggestion in case bioforum decides to go ahead with this- there shld be no drive-by rating....whoever rates a post shld identify himself/herself and esp for the *–* rating, they must also state/argue why they deemed the post “wrong”. It becomes more complicated in the end but then it’s more fair and no idiot will start rating posts just for the fun of it....:P

Edited by casandra, 26 August 2010 - 11:13 AM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#4 bioforum

bioforum

Veteran

• Super Administrators
  • 162 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

This is a good suggestion. The forum system has this feature which is enabled now.

To use this feature, click the + (vote up) or - (vote down) sign on the lower right hand corner of each post. The number of votes for each post will be displayed with the post, at the same time, the votes will be given to the owner of the poster and used to determine the member's overall reputation.

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

This is a good suggestion. The forum system has this feature which is enabled now.

To use this feature, click the + (vote up) or - (vote down) sign on the lower right hand corner of each post. The number of votes for each post will be displayed with the post, at the same time, the votes will be given to the owner of the poster and used to determine the member's overall reputation.

I dislike this, since you dont know who made that vote + I also dislike the fact that those + or - votes determines the reputation of a user. If you "hate" someone or cant stand him/her for some reason, you can "destroy" his/her reputation by just clicking everywhere when he/she made a post on the - button.

On the other hand, you could state they you rely on the fairness of the people here and that they are grown up and not childish...

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

I dislike this, since you dont know who made that vote + I also dislike the fact that those + or - votes determines the reputation of a user. If you "hate" someone or cant stand him/her for some reason, you can "destroy" his/her reputation by just clicking everywhere when he/she made a post on the - button.

On the other hand, you could state they you rely on the fairness of the people here and that they are grown up and not childish...

it seems that it's a go....perhaps we can give bioforum a - rating bec we don't agree with his decision here, pito? (just making a point- but oops, I identified myself...;))....

Edited by casandra, 29 August 2010 - 12:58 PM.

#7 bioforum

bioforum

Veteran

• Super Administrators
  • 162 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Let us just give it a try. If it does not work as we thought, we can just turn it off. If you want to know who have voted on you, the program also allows you to do that, but this option is current turned off.

#8 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Let us just give it a try. If it does not work as we thought, we can just turn it off. If you want to know who have voted on you, the program also allows you to do that, but this option is current turned off.

hey bioforum...I was just teasing about the - rating :)...but I agree with pito...this voting system can become very personal and subjective so there's the potential for "complications" later on...but like you said, we can always give it a try...

#9 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,525 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Though I'm also not a big fan of it I hope most are not "idiots" and it's working fine then...therefore a try is a good idea I think. Anyway a restriction to the technical threads/sections might be better, similar to the post count that also should only count technical posts, as before...
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#10 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Though I'm also not a big fan of it I hope most are not "idiots" and it's working fine then...therefore a try is a good idea I think. Anyway a restriction to the technical threads/sections might be better, similar to the post count that also should only count technical posts, as before...

:wacko:...what?? then we will lose all our post counts .....:D..seriously, this is a very good suggestion bioforum...we shld rate and count(like before) only the tech posts...then this would be more fair...

#11 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hi all,

first thanks biofoum for givin it a try, I really appreciate this. I agree with the fraction that is against the idea that this is ueseful only for technical posts, as rating chit chat is impossible, and will be too personal.

Yes I see the risk of the system as well, but it often happens when I have a look to answer a post people like e.g. phage454, homebrew, pernesblue or pito (thes are the ones that happen mostly to have answered the posts I can seriously answer) have already given an perfect answer. clicking just + is quicker than writing a reply. I think if the system is abused, bioforum will enable it again.
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#12 Felipillo

Felipillo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hi, It's a very good Idea, but I heve reached my maximum cuota yesterday and I cannot use the system anymore
Chance favors the prepared mind
Louis Pasteur.

#13 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

I have allready said I have my doubts about the system, but its the system and I follow it...

So today I pushed the + button to state that someone gave the correct reply... the thing that happened was that it showed a 1 in the right corner... To be honest: this is too small and not very "fancy"... if someone here makes a post and doesnt really know the system.. then what would that 1 mean?

I think it should be better if it stated a text like: X users have agreed with this post.. and this text should be shown a bit more central in the page.. or maybe on top of that reply.. because now its just standing there in the right corner at the bottom .. a little number on a green background...

PS. is there an option where you can see in wich posts a member got a + or - ?

because you can see at the profile what the reputation is, but not where that person got it.

PS.2: I just noticed that you can give yourself a reputation.. lol, I wanted to know if this was possible so I clicked on the + and yes, I got an extra reputation point.. lol

Edited by pito, 01 September 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#14 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:41 AM

I have allready said I have my doubts about the system, but its the system and I follow it...

So today I pushed the + button to state that someone gave the correct reply... the thing that happened was that it showed a 1 in the right corner... To be honest: this is too small and not very "fancy"... if someone here makes a post and doesnt really know the system.. then what would that 1 mean?

I think it should be better if it stated a text like: X users have agreed with this post.. and this text should be shown a bit more central in the page.. or maybe on top of that reply.. because now its just standing there in the right corner at the bottom .. a little number on a green background...

because you can see at the profile what the reputation is, but not where that person got it.

PS.2: I just noticed that you can give yourself a reputation.. lol, I wanted to know if this was possible so I clicked on the + and yes, I got an extra reputation point.. lol

and I just removed your +1 reputation, pito (was testing it too)..I'll restore it later....:)...and there is a quota too? darn, then I can't follow you around removing your pluses...:lol:..

#15 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

and I just removed your +1 reputation, pito (was testing it too)..I'll restore it later....:)...and there is a quota too? darn, then I can't follow you around removing your pluses...:lol:..

How do you remove a rating?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.