• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

blunt ligation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deespike

deespike

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

Hi all

I am unfortunately involved in a series of blunt ligation and i donot have any option other than that. I want to ligate a 2.3kb insert cut with EcoRV into a 12kb vector cut with Smai. I use neb enzyme upto 800 cohesive ligation end units , tried 22C, 6:1 :: insert:vector ratio but i dont get anything. I didnt dephosphorylatet the vector but still no self ligated colonies are there. The comp cells are okay (checked with plasmid).

Is there anything i can do as this is very frustrating?

Anyone having sugggestion for successful ligation?

#2 NemomeN007

NemomeN007

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hi all

I am unfortunately involved in a series of blunt ligation and i donot have any option other than that. I want to ligate a 2.3kb insert cut with EcoRV into a 12kb vector cut with Smai. I use neb enzyme upto 800 cohesive ligation end units , tried 22C, 6:1 :: insert:vector ratio but i dont get anything. I didnt dephosphorylatet the vector but still no self ligated colonies are there. The comp cells are okay (checked with plasmid).

Are you sure you're using the correct selection plates for your vector? Your test plasmid may be Amp, but your cloning vector is likely something else.

#3 deespike

deespike

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

My selection agent is kanamycin . I am using the right plate.

#4 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Try a 16degC overnight incubation and add 2.5ul of 50% PEG 4000 (or 6000 etc) per 20ul ligation reaction. This is what I always do and my cloning always works :)
Good luck!
Clare

Hi all

#5 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Try a 16degC overnight incubation and add 2.5ul of 50% PEG 4000 (or 6000 etc) per 20ul ligation reaction. This is what I always do and my cloning always works :)
Good luck!
Clare

Hi all

If all else fails, the alternative is to avoid blunt end cloning and revise the ligation strategy to allow for sticky end ligation or use the invitro homologous recombination kit from clontech.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.