• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Typical ChIP yields

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamessmith01

jamessmith01

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

I am just wondering what kind of yields people are getting from their ChIPs.

I currently get around 4-5 ng of DNA from a H3ac ChIP, using 4 ug of chromatin and 2 ug of antibody. I'm using the Active Motif ChIP-IT express kit (magnetic beads).

If this is massively short of what others get, I might get some new antibody (it's supposed to be a good one, well published, but could I have knackered it with multiple freeze-thaws?). I'm also going to run a PolII ChIP to check what a good yield from this kit should look like.

Thanks.

#2 Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

Squeak!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

I am just wondering what kind of yields people are getting from their ChIPs.

I currently get around 4-5 ng of DNA from a H3ac ChIP, using 4 ug of chromatin and 2 ug of antibody. I'm using the Active Motif ChIP-IT express kit (magnetic beads).

If this is massively short of what others get, I might get some new antibody (it's supposed to be a good one, well published, but could I have knackered it with multiple freeze-thaws?). I'm also going to run a PolII ChIP to check what a good yield from this kit should look like.

Thanks.

I've never quantified my ChIPs that way; I usually figure out my "yield" by running qPCR and comparing to input, thereby getting a % input. For TFs I get % inputs around the 0.1 - 1.0 % range. For histone modifications I get something between 5-30% input. I'm not sure that quantifying the amount of DNA you've pulled down is a particularly good measure of how well your ChIP has worked; I would recommend doing PCR on a region that you know binds your factor and compare that to a negative control region (e.g, LINE1 or 28S rRNA etc.) and see if you have greater binding in your positive versus your negative control...

MM
We are all artists...painting with experience on the canvas of life

#3 jonny_boy

jonny_boy

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hi Mighty Mouse,

I have a quick question for you! I have been doing histone ChIP for a while now but have never had enrichment as high as you have stated. However, I am wondering whether this may be because I am classifying my 'input' in a different way to you? When you calculate percentage input do you do it based on the total amount of chromatin placed into the ChIP reaction or do you compare to a smaller aliquot (i.e if you precipitate 50 ul of sheared chromatin does your input sample also represent 50 ul or a smaller amount, say 5ul as suggested in Millipore's EZ-Magna ChIP kit)?

Thanks in advance for the response!

Jon

#4 Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

Squeak!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hi Mighty Mouse,

I have a quick question for you! I have been doing histone ChIP for a while now but have never had enrichment as high as you have stated. However, I am wondering whether this may be because I am classifying my 'input' in a different way to you? When you calculate percentage input do you do it based on the total amount of chromatin placed into the ChIP reaction or do you compare to a smaller aliquot (i.e if you precipitate 50 ul of sheared chromatin does your input sample also represent 50 ul or a smaller amount, say 5ul as suggested in Millipore's EZ-Magna ChIP kit)?

Thanks in advance for the response!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I usually pull out 1% input. So I'll have a 500uL volume for my chromatin/dilution buffer/antibody/PI mix, then I'll pull out 5uL as my input. Then when I do my calculation I'll do 0.01*2^dCt where dCt is the Ct difference between my input and my target. I use the 0.01 to "correct" for the use of 1% input for my final calculation. I like to use 1% input because typically I'm ChIPing for TFs and my qPCR curves for my input and factors are fairly close thereby minimizing any distortion due to primer in-efficiencies over long Ct ranges. I hope that's clear...

MM
We are all artists...painting with experience on the canvas of life

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.