• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

lowry assay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 intan

intan

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

hi...
what purposes of lowry assay??
it is neccesary if i want to do protein profiling???
protocol to do lowry assay???
TQ
if i don't know something then i will ask others to help me and make me understand

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

lowry assay is for quantitate your total protein amount.

protein profiling? You should be running 2D-PAGE gel, right? In order to profile your protein shouldn't you standardize your protein loaded into your gel?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 thoughtflashes

thoughtflashes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

I think most people don't use the Lowry assay any more. There are other assays that are more accurate for determining protein concentration, if that's what you want to do.

#4 intan

intan

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

in ur opinion between lowry, bradford and bieuret assay which one is the best and accurate??
if i don't know something then i will ask others to help me and make me understand

#5 thoughtflashes

thoughtflashes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:09 AM

Probably Bradford is best.

#6 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

Depends on your buffer etc... I would say BCA more stable, but Bradford is the most convenient.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#7 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

bradford is very sensitive but may be the least accurate of your choices (it depends on using a proper standard, bsa is probably the least appropriate standard for most proteins) and is not truly linear in response (you can find a range that approximates linearity).

lowry and its offshoot bca are both sensitive and accurate but not as fast as bradford.

biuret is accurate but not as sensitive as lowry or bradford. it should be used for high concentration samples (>1 mg/ml).

for any of these methods you need to use proper blanks and standards to ensure accuracy.

Edited by mdfenko, 17 August 2010 - 09:28 PM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.