• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Restriction digestion of gDNA for phage library

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 proteinz

proteinz

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:32 AM

Hi All,
I have a query regarding construction of a phage library. I have purchased the Zap express vector kit predigested with EcoRI. From the literature other scientists digest with EcoRI (obviously) and perform the ligation normally. while others partially digest with 4bp cutters such as Sau3A1 and fill in two of the nucleotides. Why do they do this? Does it just make it easier to ligate or is there something i'm missing? Which is best??
Thnks in advance

#2 NemomeN007

NemomeN007

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Difference in average insert length depending on the genome of interest.

#3 proteinz

proteinz

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

Difference in average insert length depending on the genome of interest.

Thanks for the reply nemomeN007 But i dont quite get this could you explain further? Why do they need to fill in nucleotides on 4bp cutter and not on the 6bp??

#4 NemomeN007

NemomeN007

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

It depends on the protocol and what you need to accomplish. Without the protocol, I don't really know...usually it's to create a blunt end for linker ligations or variations thereof....

#5 proteinz

proteinz

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

It depends on the protocol and what you need to accomplish. Without the protocol, I don't really know...usually it's to create a blunt end for linker ligations or variations thereof....

Thanks again for the reply nemomen007. the protocol is the ligation of restricted gDNA fragments into a lambda vector. In most protocols they cut directly with EcoRI and ligate into a vector digested in the same fashion. in some however the digest with a 4bp cutter such as Sau3AI then fill in 2 of the 4 nucleotides before ligating into the EcoRI digested vector. I understand the concept that 4bp cutter cuts more often and hence gives smaller fragments just not why they fill in two of the nucleotides before ligation with the vector.

#6 NemomeN007

NemomeN007

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Again, I don't really know without seeing the protocol...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.