• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

UK English vs. US English

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PandaCreamPuff

PandaCreamPuff

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hi everyone!

So I am based in a UK lab trying to submit a paper to an American journal. My boss, by default, encourages me to write in UK English, however would it matter if I am submitting to an American journal? Would they want me to write in American English?

All these "organize" vs "organise" and "colonize" vs. "colonize" is doing my head in lol :angry:

Thanks a munch!

Cheers

PCP!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder emeritus

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

most of us here in the us understand uk english (colour vs. color, etc). go ahead and write the way you know, we'll figure it out.

Edited by mdfenko, 05 August 2010 - 11:54 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i used to do what i got paid to do

#3 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

I would write the way that comes most naturally to you, thus your paper will read better. Let the American editors worry about the differences between US and UK differences. I can tell you, as an American, I've never considered using UK English when submitting to UK publications like Nature...

#4 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

Analyze, analyse :rolleyes: .
There are so many. I would simply chose one language and be consistent. Maybe the editor or reviewer will correct them anyway (or ask you to change).
That reminds me when I arrived in the US. I learned British english, so I had quite a few surprises :P
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#5 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

I just found this. Hope it helps.

http://www.inter-bio...hgram/list.html
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.