• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Fixing cells for flow cytometry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azazel

azazel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

is there an alternative to the last fixation step of staining cells using 1% paraformaldehyde? can i use formaldehyde instead? can anyone give me an alternative to 1% paraformaldehyde and its preparation formula as well? also, would it be okay to use RBC lysis instead of Facs Lysis to lyse the RBCs during the staining procedure? thanks

#2 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hello :)

You could try EtOH fixation? (depending on why you want to fix cells). I produced a monoclonal antibody to a transcription factor and found it only worked (well) when I EtOH fixed the cells (and not PFA). I fixed my cells in 70% EtOH (in PBS) ON at 4degC. Note: I stained cells the following day. Hope this helps!
Clare

is there an alternative to the last fixation step of staining cells using 1% paraformaldehyde? can i use formaldehyde instead? can anyone give me an alternative to 1% paraformaldehyde and its preparation formula as well? also, would it be okay to use RBC lysis instead of Facs Lysis to lyse the RBCs during the staining procedure? thanks

#3 Piersgb

Piersgb

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

What is the reason you want an alternative to PFA? My group tend to use 4% PFA in 1 x PBS for 10 minutes and then wash...

IHC world is usually quite good:

http://www.ihcworld....CC/fixation.htm

#4 grayhair

grayhair

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

1% formaldehyde
30 mL methanol free formadehyde to 270 mL of 0.1% bovine serum albumin solution in phosphate buffered saline.
pH to 7.4+/-0.1
store at 4 degrees C in a dark bottle.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.