• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

generating cell line knockouts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ALW0012

ALW0012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Question: Does anyone know if you can generate a cell line knockout in any cell line or does it have to be an embryonic stem cell? If so why?
I'm thinking about doing a series of experiments in HEK 293 cells and would love to KO my gene of interest to determine the effects on cell viability and was wondering if I can do that just by homologous recombination in HEK 293 cells. Any thoughts/ answers would be greatly appreciated.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

You can definitely do KO in ordinary cell lines. There should be plenty of literature on the web that says how to do it.

#3 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

You can definitely do KO in ordinary cell lines. There should be plenty of literature on the web that says how to do it.

You should also read up about the efficient of the cell line for homologous recombination. Some lines are more efficient, some are very very low.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#4 Rsm

Rsm

Post Dog

• Active Members
  • 381 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

One concern I'd have is the clonal power of your HEK cells. Most ES cells do have unlimited proliferative capacity, while HEKs don't. So you might need to do this several times before you get a good clone. You'll need to determine drug resistance before, HEKs are transformed with SV40 and Neo resistance, AFAIK. Other than that should be ok.

Cheers,

Minna
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.