• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Forum upgraded to the newest version

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bioforum

bioforum

Veteran

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hell Bioforumers,

We have just upgraded BioForum's software to its latest version. The new version 3.1.2 is a major overhaul over the previous one with tons of new features (content sharing, mobile access, etc). The purpose of the upgrade is not really for the new fancy features but to keep up with the new security measures coming with the new version. Of course, not all changes in features, navigation and usability are going to be liked by our members.

Some known usability issues:

1. The old iMAC skin is no longer compatible with the new forum program. We will try to find a similar skin for you to choose from. Now we have already made a few skins available. They can be found in the lower left-hand corner of all pages.

2. New posts since your last visit -- This feature is available by clicking the link "View new content" in the upper right-hand corner of all pages".

3. Unanswered topics -- This feature is unavailable for the time being.

4. Personal message -- Now the way of how messages are organized has been changed. New unread messages are in the "New" box. All other messages (read and deleted) are in "My conversation" (a very stupid change).

5. Attachments -- To manage attachments associated with both your posts or messages, go to My Settings -> Manage Attachments.

6. Now there is a new column on the right side of the forum index page showing updates of forum activities. If you don't like it, you can easily turn it off by clicking the "x" sign on top of it. You can bring it back by clicking the "<" sign if you have turned it off.

We will list more once they are known. You are welcome to follow up this topic by posting bugs, issues you find, as well as your suggestions and comments.

Cheers.

Bioforum

#2 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

4. Personal message -- Now the way of how messages are organized has been changed. New unread messages are in the "New" box. All other messages (read and deleted) are in "My conversation" (a very stupid change).

:P...and "resources" instead of pages....

and perhaps you can also list down the new features that weren't there in the old one or were improved upon....anyhow, thanks for all your efforts, Bioforum. And some of us would be whining a bit but we're still in the learning curve and once we figured out how things work, then we'd be appreciating the new skins in no time...
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#3 bioforum

bioforum

Veteran

• Super Administrators
  • 162 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

You are right Casandra. As you all have noticed, there is a new menu item "Pages". It is a content management system which allows us to organize and categorize knowledge contributed by members in the forum into easily browsable resources. Now this new feature has not been activated yet. Please stay tuned...

#4 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

You are right Casandra. As you all have noticed, there is a new menu item "Pages". It is a content management system which allows us to organize and categorize knowledge contributed by members in the forum into easily browsable resources. Now this new feature has not been activated yet. Please stay tuned...

thanks and we will.....btw, in the profile page, Gender- not telling......this really cracked me up.....:P...I've already started really appreciating the web designers......
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#5 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

thanks bioforum, except some minor stuff I like it...really an improvement
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#6 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,505 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

It's taking a bit of getting used to it, but I am liking the new format, especially the quick reply screen.

#7 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

yeah the quick reply is a good one!!!!
rightly so once we get used to it this seems to be a good one!!! :)
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#8 rick112

rick112

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

hi i am missing all the attachment in my messages... :(
anyway i would retrive them??

#9 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,265 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:11 AM

Thanks to hogblobin, and I quote "If someone looks for his attached pdfs or other stuff, you find them in "my settings" and then "Manage Attachments"..."
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#10 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:07 AM

Thanks to hogblobin, and I quote "If someone looks for his attached pdfs or other stuff, you find them in "my settings" and then "Manage Attachments"..."

i m not able to find my settings!! am i sounding dumb???!!! the icon at the top right does not open in setings for me.. it opens as search!!!!
Cheers!!!

#11 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,265 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

i m not able to find my settings!! am i sounding dumb???!!! the icon at the top right does not open in setings for me.. it opens as search!!!!

You need to click on your name (at the top right corner) then you will see a menu in ich you can click on my settings.. if you click on that, you can select in the left corner: my attachements.
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#12 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:52 AM

hahaha... how did i miss tat!!!
thanx!!
i m beginning to like the new look!!! :rolleyes:
Cheers!!!

#13 rick112

rick112

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

i looked into "manage attachments" and its all empty..hmmm...do i need to do something else?? :unsure:

#14 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

i looked into "manage attachments" and its all empty..hmmm...do i need to do something else?? :unsure:

tats wierd!!! i have all the attachments in place!!!
Cheers!!!

#15 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,265 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

I have one more remark: if you click on a link (eg. in the paper request forum) that link opens in the browser you are looking in stead of opening a new webpage... This is irritating to be honest because you "lose" the page you are looking at (you lose ze bioforumpage)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.