• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Sudden change in impact factor 2008 to 2009

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 microphobe

microphobe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hi,

Can anyone explain why a sudden change in impact factor for a journal should occur between one year and the next?

The journal I am thinking about is Molecular Biology and Evolution, IF 2008: 7.28 -> IF 2009: 9.87 (!)

Can anyone verify this? Did they change the way they calculate it or something?

#2 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

Why not? If the journal published a lot of good/popular/highly cited articles, then the numbers can change quite a bit from one year to another.
I think there is the IF list for 2009 somewhere on this site. For 2008, I also have 7.28
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#3 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

It also shows that the impact factor doesn't mean too much -- publish good papers, and they'll get cited. It could also go the other way -- as they're fond of pointing out in financial circles, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

#4 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

I am also getting the feeling that most IFs increased during the last years, but I suspect this is because more and more journals are included in the ranking .... the more journals - the more citations - the higher the IF :blink: <_<
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.