• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Serial Dilution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doctorphilic

doctorphilic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question regarding elementary concept of dilution. I have stock concentration of tetracycline (1mg/ml) and I want to use 1ug/ml concentration for my experiment. The volume to which I will add this new concentration (1ug/ml) is 1ml. Along the same line, I also want to make 0.5ug/ml dilution from original 1mg/ml stock. How much micro L (ul) of the original stock solution should I add to my well with the 1ml? I know I can make the 1000 dilution by adding 1ul of tetracycline to 999ul of PBS and add 1ul of this to the 1ml volume. I was wondering if there is a more efficient way of making a serial dilution that will get me 1ug/ml of antibiotic into the 1ml volume. Thanks!

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

you can make dilutions in between ....

you have 1mg/ml.... just dilute this 10 times or 100 times and keep those dilutions... then its easier and then you do not need to make such ridiculous dulition where you put 1 Ál in 999Ál.

by example you can use 500Ál stock with 500Ál water or pbs.. then you have 0.5mg per ml...
(its just an example..)

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.