• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Font for Power Point presentation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

Which font for headlines and/or other text is state of the art for ppt?

I prefer Microsoft sans sarif but I do not know if itīs still fresh...

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,317 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

thats very objective ...

And its a detail lol.

I prefer verdana , thats also sans sarif.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I agree, sans sarif is better for title.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sans-serif
In print, sans-serif fonts are more typically used for headlines than for body text.

#4 Mad researcher

Mad researcher

Researcher in making

• Active Members
  • 105 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

I prefer TIMES NEW ROMAN or VERDANA
Cheers,

Mad Researcher

#5 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

I prefer sans serif, easier on the eye for the visually challenged such as myself. I use Arial but they all look pretty much the same to me.

#6 science noob

science noob

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 275 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

Seems like I'm all Arial since its the font I use in my formal writings (e.g. thesis/results).

What about Word docs? what fonts do people generally prefer?

And more importantly, why? is it all due to the 'appeal'/;attractiveness' factor?

#7 ascacioc

ascacioc

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 271 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

there was a new your times recent article about a study (it is a bit too much to call that a study, more like a survey) about fonts and the results might be interesting for you guys: they conclude that Baskerville is the way :P

http://opinionator.b...earken-o-earth/

#8 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I learnt it this way:
Fonts without serifs for presentations and posters (and headlines/titles), because they have a clear and uncomplicated design. You can easily and fast comprehend what is written and the layout of a slide or poster isn't messed up > Arial, Verdana, etc.
For texts in papers, thesis etc fonts with serifs because the serifs help to read longer texts/sentences as they kind of "guide" the eyes over the words and sentences, that are usually longer than on posters/presentations...> Times NR etc...
And always use common fonts, as if you go to a meeting, the computer there might not have your special fonts installed and then the slides are messed up (or you use pdfs or pps(x)-files).
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#9 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 160 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Use Comic Sans.
If it's good enough for the Higgs-Boson announcement.......http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/jul/04/higgs-boson-comic-sans-twitter

#10 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,519 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

and for the announcement of the results of the replication of the experiment to prove its repeatability, they'll use baskerville? Perhaps then I'll believe it Posted Image
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#11 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I had an immunology lecturer who gave all of her lectures with comic sans for the font on the slides. AND she used multiple colours too. As a result "ban comic sans" posters appeared all over the department. Posted Image

Worst. font. ever.

#12 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,191 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

For presentations I usually use Trebuchet, because it's a standard font in Windows and loks neat enough. Having presentaion with czech characters replaced by non size-matching Arial in all slides is even worse than Comis Sans. Actually this idea of using very minimalistic design of slides and just a neat font came to me when I've seen a presentation on Mendel days from some famous guy (I can't really tell now if that was Alec Jeffreys or I'm mixing it up with other speaker) who had a presentation from Mac. No background at all, just very nice font, decent colors (2) and precise letter-spacing. The niciest presentation ever. Jobs surely know how to go with fonts.

For printed text I came to love Georgia (Garamond is also fine, but has a problematic font size or how that parameter is called). Only thing I really hate about it is that it's one of few fonts that have non-lining numerals. Looks pretty odd in your tables. There may be possibly other fonts that look like Georgia, but has normal numerals, but again, problem is it's not a standard font, and that causes troubles when you bring documents somewhere else.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.