• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

cardiomyocytes primary culture

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soymilk14

soymilk14

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

hi. i just read several papers mentioning isolating around 80 mouse hearts for primary culture. The mouse are crossed with a reporter strain so that the specific heart cell can be isolated by flow cytometry. why do they have to isolate so many mouse hearts? haha sorry i dont understand and is new to mouse genetics

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'm guessing the cells are very low abundance/don't survive very well, so they needed a lot of hearts to get the specific type of cell they wanted. Either that or they just needed a lot of cells for something and it was easier to get them straight from the heart that it was to culture the cells.

#3 soymilk14

soymilk14

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

oh i see.. thank you.. but its possible right? haha i just found it so strange and very tedious work ;) thanks

#4 milla

milla

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

I do work with mouse hearts to isolate specific heart cells and, even if is true that these cell sare very low abundance/don't survive very well, I have never used so many mouse!!!
Usually I am not going higher that 5 mice!
Now I am curious to read these papers!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.