• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

are vacuum manifolds (plasmid prep) interchange with brands?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blue800

blue800

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hey all,
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with vacuum manifolds for high throughput plasmid preps. I need to do a megaprep using a Genelute (sigma) kit...it seems that most megaprep kits need a vacuum manifold, but I only have access to a biorad version.

My question is: Are the kits/manifolds interchangable with brands or do the different companies modify them to only be used with their own products?

Thanks in advance,
Eric J.

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

As long as you get a good seal to allow the liquid to be pulled through, and as long as you don't get cross-contamination, you should be fine. The most important issue is getting a seal; if that doesn't work, you're plumb out of luck!
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Most vacuum manifolds use a Luer system which is the common tip for all syringes. I have used invitrogen, promega and a third brand (which I forget now) on a manifold from promega.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.