• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Left DNA plasmid out for a week

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NinerFan49

NinerFan49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was careless and left my whole sample of plasmid DNA out for a week. I want do a pcr; will it be ok to use the plasmd?

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:35 AM

If by "out" you mean on room temperature, then I can tell you I once forgot plasmids whole month in the corner of the bench. They were send dryed on the whatman paper over the ocean and successfuly transfected into bacteria.

I think plasmids survive a lots of things if they are in the right buffer.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 NinerFan49

NinerFan49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:19 AM

If by "out" you mean on room temperature, then I can tell you I once forgot plasmids whole month in the corner of the bench. They were send dryed on the whatman paper over the ocean and successfuly transfected into bacteria.

I think plasmids survive a lots of things if they are in the right buffer.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, I mean at room temperature. That's a relief, they are in tris buffer, which should be good then.

#4 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

DNA's natural state is quite a bit warmer than room temperature (in mammals, anyway). Also, DNA survives quite well after repeated and prolonged exposure to high temperatures in a PCR reaction. It's all about how clean your DNA is (no nucleases) and what it's stored in (some buffer rather than water).

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.