• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Obtaining single cell suspension from mouse spleen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tourlomo

tourlomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi all,

Lately, I have been experiencing big problems while processing mouse spleens to obtain single cell suspensions. The aim of the work is to produce single cell suspensions, isolate CD4+ T cells using MACS sorting (Miltenyi) and set up some T cell assays. While a couple of months ago the first part of the procedure, that of obtaining large numbers of healthy splenocytes was working smoothly (5-10 x 10^7 cells/ spleen after RBC lysis and viability extremely high, I could hardly found any dead cells!!!), things have changed dramatically during the last few weeks. I am using the usual protocol, that is mash the spleen with the black rubber end of a 2 ml syringe through a cell strainer (I am using the 40 micron from BD) into a small petri dish together with plenty of medium (10% FCS RPMI 1640 supplemented with glutamine, pen+strep, mercaptoethanol and HEPES). At this very first stage and before lysing the RBCs, I use the trypan blue exclusion assay to have a look at the single cell suspension: Among a large number of healthy splenocytes, a considerable number (it varies from 8-20%) of large faint blueish cells are visible in the background: the vast majority of them are larger than the healthy cells and as i said before appear as light blue. i would ignore them but sometimes i find them in large numbers, especially taking into consideration their sudden appearance. I have tried everything: I have used unopened RPMI with no supplements just in case there is something wrong with them but no good. I have tried resuspending the cells in warm or cold media, using a petri dish or a 50 ml falcon nothing seems to work: these apparently dead large cells are always there.

I would really appreciate any comments on this issue especially if someone has experienced the same problem.

Thanks a lot

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.