• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Freezing eluted His tag protein

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BB25

BB25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hi,

I am purifying a His tag protein from cell media via an IMAC column in an elution buffer containing 200mM imidazole, is it ok to freeze the protein in this elution buffer as I have heard it could damage my protein. If this is not ok how do I go about doing a buffer exchange? I have some columns from Millipore that I have used in the past but I have now been told that the imidazole in the buffer could cause the protein to stick to the membrane and I wont be able to wash it off.

Any advice anyone could give me would be great, thanks.

#2 123zhangxu

123zhangxu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:19 AM

Hi,

I am purifying a His tag protein from cell media via an IMAC column in an elution buffer containing 200mM imidazole, is it ok to freeze the protein in this elution buffer as I have heard it could damage my protein. If this is not ok how do I go about doing a buffer exchange? I have some columns from Millipore that I have used in the past but I have now been told that the imidazole in the buffer could cause the protein to stick to the membrane and I wont be able to wash it off.

Any advice anyone could give me would be great, thanks.

Millipore columns works in this situation. I have purified a tagged protein in an elution buffer containing >200mM imidazole. After ultrafilter most of my protein was recovered. imidazole buffer maybe cause the protein to stick to the membrane but that should be a little.

#3 Benita

Benita

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

I dialyse my protein after elution in250mM imodazole. I use Dialysis Cassettes from Pierce!

Greetings Franzi!

#4 shilpeejnc

shilpeejnc

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:08 AM

[quote name='Benita' timestamp='1275910782' post='74271']
I dialyse my protein after elution in250mM imodazole. I use Dialysis Cassettes from Pierce!

Greetings Franzi!
[/qAfter thawing the frozen elute With 500mM imidazole I gaot pecipitate.And after passing through centricon I recoverd very less protein

#5 Benita

Benita

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

Maybe you shouldn't freeze it in this buffer, we use a special freezing buffer. I think thawing and freezing could also damage your protein.

#6 ram

ram

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

I was working with 2 different enzymes, both eluted with 250mM imidazole. After one freezing-thawing cycle, one of the enzymes lost the activity, whereas the other one retained it to the same extent. So, I think it varies greatly from protein to protein; obviously, freezing it not advisable.
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.