• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Centrifugation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:14 AM

Hi all,

I am spinning a protein sample at 100000g for 1 hour to determine if there are any aggregates in the solution. My question is how can I work out what range of molecule sizes I'd expect to sediment under these conditions? I know there is some formula somewhere that would tell me, for example, at that speed and time I'd expect anything over X kDa to sediment. Does anyone know how I can work this out?

#2 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hi all,

I am spinning a protein sample at 100000g for 1 hour to determine if there are any aggregates in the solution. My question is how can I work out what range of molecule sizes I'd expect to sediment under these conditions? I know there is some formula somewhere that would tell me, for example, at that speed and time I'd expect anything over X kDa to sediment. Does anyone know how I can work this out?

you mean to determine a sedimentation coefficient? You should use a sucrose density ultracentrifugation utilizing reference proteins with known molecular mass AND sedimentation coefficient;

follow the protocol of Martin & Ames (1961), JBC 236, p 1372-1379

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

once you know the sedimentation coefficient then you can calculate "clearing time" (the formula is or was given in a book that comes or came with beckman ultracentrifuges. the beckman coulter website has some calculators.

then clearing time (in hours), t=k/s. s=sedimentation coefficient and k= a speed factor that you can calculate for your rotor (at a given speed or rcf) with the calculator at the website.

Edited by mdfenko, 28 May 2010 - 10:36 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.