• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Bands in PCR negative control

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fhannan

Fhannan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

Hello, i am new here and i wish if anybody can help....
I came across a problem recently is that the negative controls of my PCR showed a band on the agarose gel. The weird thing is that it has the same band size as my target band 305bp. What might be the cause? Do I have to repeat the samples which have been analyzed without running a neg control along with them as they might be just contaminants and not the real targeted DNA sample?

#2 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

Try things suggested in this topic.
http://www.protocol-...showtopic=14306

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#3 ksam

ksam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

I think the only reason for getting band in negative control is primer contamination. make new stock of primers and do PCR. Good luck!

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I think the only reason for getting band in negative control is primer contamination. make new stock of primers and do PCR. Good luck!

Contamination could be in any of the reagents.

Hello, i am new here and i wish if anybody can help....
I came across a problem recently is that the negative controls of my PCR showed a band on the agarose gel. The weird thing is that it has the same band size as my target band 305bp. What might be the cause? Do I have to repeat the samples which have been analyzed without running a neg control along with them as they might be just contaminants and not the real targeted DNA sample?

The contamination is probably a PCR product that has somehow made its way into your reagents (possibly from your pipettes). You do need to repeat the samples from that PCR as they may well be false positives.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.