• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Low yield of DNA purified from cultured cells

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 XCI

XCI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:17 AM

Hi

I'm using Puregene DNA purification Kit to isolate genomic DNA from cultured fibroblast cells. I have both tried the protocol for purification from 1-2 mill. cells and from 10-20 mill. cells. However my yield of DNA is really low.

In my first try I got between 20 to 50 ug DNA which I guess is okay (expected yield according to the protocol is 50-100 ug).
However, when repeating the purification on the same type of cells the yield was only 3-10 ug.

During the first try I did see the DNA precipitating and a small pellet was formed, however it wasn't that big a pellet as I would have expected from the number of cells.
During the second try I could hardly see any DNA precipitation or DNA pellet.

What can be the big difference between my two purifications ?
The cells have been treated similarly (left at room temp. in DNA hydration solution for ~2 years. Which is okay according to the protocol. Can this be a problem ??).

The only difference between the two trials that I can think of is the fact that I performed the RNase treatment and protein precipitation in a 1.5 ml eppendorf tube and a 4.5 ml tube respectively in the two trials. Should that make any difference ?

Both trials were performed using the protocol for purification of 10-20 million cells.
When I used the protocol for 1-2 million cells the yield was just as low, ranging from 1 to 27 ug.

I really hope that you can give me some advise to what have went wrong :-)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.