• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

cells in RNAlater

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrvica

mrvica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hi,
I need a help from you, guys. Can I save my cells (imoratlized cell line) in RNAlater for a period of time? At least a few weaks untill the TRIzol I have ordered comes? And is there any special protocol, on how to preserve cells? I`m planning to wash them three times in PBS and then to resuspend pelet in, I don`t know, maybe 200 microliters of RNAlater, and then keep the cells at -20 degrees, until RNA extraction? What do you think, will it be ok?

Thanks so much!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

If it is just cells, why not just grow some more when the trizol arrives?

The RNAlater website advertises storage of pelleted cells as being fine.

#3 zodiac1505

zodiac1505

Enthusiast

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

I have used RNAlater to save organs and usually they are fine for extended periods of time in -20. But I have always used RNAeasy kit to extract the RNA and never trizol unless the cells and organs are fresh.

#4 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

Do not keep at -20C. Ambion does not recommend it. keep at 4C. RNAlater is made by a guy from Ambion and he told us to keep at 4C.

also, as Zodiac suggested, if you want pure RNA for sensitive experiments (e.g Real-Time PCR) use RNeasy kit, though it has a longer protocol than a normal Trizol method.

#5 saraarasus

saraarasus

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

I have used RNA later for doing experinment later. It will work. Just wash your cells and add RNA later. It should cover the cells completely. Then store it at -80 for long storage (months) or -20 for short (1-2 weeks). :lol:

Hi,
I need a help from you, guys. Can I save my cells (imoratlized cell line) in RNAlater for a period of time? At least a few weaks untill the TRIzol I have ordered comes? And is there any special protocol, on how to preserve cells? I`m planning to wash them three times in PBS and then to resuspend pelet in, I don`t know, maybe 200 microliters of RNAlater, and then keep the cells at -20 degrees, until RNA extraction? What do you think, will it be ok?

Thanks so much!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.