I do experiments in a lab (I'm still a student) and I always do my agarose gel in a certain way. Most of the times however I don't get the expected bands revealed in the gel after electrophoresis. However I do get all the DNA ladder bands revealed.
I wanted to ask if there is a chance I might be doing something wrong when making up my gel. Or does the fact that the ladder is revealed mean that the gel is OK?
So I will explain how I do the gel for the electrophoresis and please let me know if it is wrong.
1) I add 980ml distilled water with 20ml TE of 50X concentration (I do this much so that I can keep some as stock).
2) I mix and add 100ml of this with 1g agarose powder and microwave this until all powder is dissolved.
3) I add 10ml of cybrsafe or however it is spelled.
4) I mix, pour it in the tray and let it dry for about 30 min.
5) I put the gel in the electrophoresis tank, and then fill the tank with the TE buffer I prepared at step 1.
So does my method seem right to you?
Thanks for listening to me and I look forward to hearing from you.
Edited by humalog, 10 May 2010 - 02:02 PM.