• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How many generations until a new species is formed?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yeehi

yeehi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

For selective breeding in mammalian sexual reproduction, about how many generations would need to pass before a new species came into being, one that could no longer successfully breed with the starting stock?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Pick a number... what do you know about selection pressure?

#3 yeehi

yeehi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

Pick a number... what do you know about selection pressure?

I am unfamiliar with selection pressure. In a laboratory setting it would be possible to select for individuals with a particular trait, putting selection pressure at its maximum. Being prevented by an external agent from reproducing isnīt what counts in determining whether a new species has formed, though.

If selection pressure is at its maximum, how many generations would it take, I wonder. I donīt think it is known.

#4 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:01 AM

It depends on the mechanism of speciation (see here). There is no way to know in advance how many generations such an event would take to occur.

#5 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,506 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

To give a number, sometimes even one generation may be enough, i.e. one mutation that then via selection or building a reproductive barrier separates the populations. But this is a very, very rare event, as the mutation has to spread and not eradicated or just outnumbered in a large population.
Here is an example, with an approximately way how it could work.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#6 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for this article hobglobin. It's very interesting.
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.