• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

chloroform extraction---become dark yellow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jenny0827

jenny0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Today when I did phenol/chloroform extraction for the ChIP DNA, I found something strange. After adding chloroform to the aquar phase which extracted from phenol/chloroform/Isoamylalcohol, the organic phase turned to dark yellow...I found maybe due to chloroform is old, because the chloroform I used was a bit yellow...phenol/chlo/Isoamyl should be ok, it was a commercial one, the color is still light yellow...Is there anyone knows what is the dark yellow thing, will it break the DNA???

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Today when I did phenol/chloroform extraction for the ChIP DNA, I found something strange. After adding chloroform to the aquar phase which extracted from phenol/chloroform/Isoamylalcohol, the organic phase turned to dark yellow...I found maybe due to chloroform is old, because the chloroform I used was a bit yellow...phenol/chlo/Isoamyl should be ok, it was a commercial one, the color is still light yellow...Is there anyone knows what is the dark yellow thing, will it break the DNA???

normally the phenol can turn yellow if old and oxidised...it's not recommended to use it then...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#3 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Good

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

Oxidation of the phenol produces a pink/brown compound, and this compound will cause nicking of your DNA and degradation of your RNA.

Regards,
p

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.