• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Which pipette is the best?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 torte

torte

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

Hi,
what is your experience with micropipette brands? Which one was the best and which one would you never ever buy again? Thank for your help - we are going to buy a new one :lol:

#2 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

Eppendorf (Research) is a good one according to me and also Finnipipette from thermo is very easy and robust to use.
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#3 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:16 AM

Eppendorf

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,467 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:09 AM

I'm an outlier, I think, but I like the Rainin LTS pipets.

#5 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • 1,200 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

All our lab uses Gilson, we think they're the best.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#6 labrat612

labrat612

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:46 AM

LOVE RAININ LTS!!!

It's just so easy to handle and accurate as well.

#7 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 303 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

Hi,
what is your experience with micropipette brands? Which one was the best and which one would you never ever buy again? Thank for your help - we are going to buy a new one ;)

we use both Eppendorf and Gilson

#8 torte

torte

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for you answers ;) Do you use tips recommended by the brand or any universal tips, e.g. Ambion tips? Thanks

#9 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,781 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

i use eppendorf reference pipettes, gilson and rainin have comparable quality and reliability but i don't like the feel of them in my hand (also eppendorf research).

for tips we buy the best quality universal tips we can find for a decent price (right now i'm using usa scientific tip one, denville also has good tips, maybe better than usa scientific).

Edited by mdfenko, 04 May 2010 - 06:37 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#10 vladooo

vladooo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

The best brand is Eppendorf. Try the Research Plus pippetes and you will see that it does not have a competition.
Ergonomics is the key factor here.

#11 ProteinWork

ProteinWork

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

We use Rainin pipettes in our lab. They are okay but I do like Eppendorf ones better.

#12 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

We use axygen universal tips!!!
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#13 than4

than4

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Not sure where you are from, but I have just had several different sorts of pipettes to try out for our lab as we were buying two new sets.

One girl was dead set on Eppendorf pipettes, wouldn't use anything else but at $400 each...... We eventually got them at a good price, so she got what she wanted and they are good, but the small one doesn't fit our Axygen filter tips, we have to buy the Eppendorf ones :(

I am a big fan of Gilsons and since they are no longer under patent anymore, we ended up getting some Gilson rip-offs from Axygen (Axypet) at just over $200 each.

Finn pipettes are good, particularly for students I think, although they feel a bit plasticy. They are quite durable and easy to use. Price-wise they can be just as expensive as an Eppendorf though, depending on what sort of deals you can do with your sales rep.

DON'T buy the CAPP Ecopipette. Another postdoc bought them last year because they were cheap and they are terrible to use and constantly need calibrating.

#14 array75

array75

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

In my previous lab, we had different suppliers, most of the technicans prefer gilson or eppendorf based on their good ergonomics. – One of my postdocs has his personal set of a dozen eppendorfs – he denies everything else – even the tips must be original, if possible, these fancy eppendorf ones where you don’t lose half of your sample molecules stuck to the plastic surface.
Not exactly the cheap stuff, but as long as the results make us happy, the bills are signed…

You know, when performing experiments worth a few hundred bucks a shot, don’t save the penny on crappy tips, it’s not worth it…

I would suggest: Test the pipettes on your own to find the best one, it’s a personal decision.

#15 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

I have always liked the Rainin LTS. They are soft and smooth, which is nice for my crippled old hands. :P I have found that the regular Gilsons make my wrists click and get sore if I use them for long periods of time.

I did try a pipetter with a release button on the side. I liked them, but left that lab shortly after I got them so I don't know if they held up to use. They were spendy. I don't remember what brand they were. (sorry if that's not helpful.)
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.