• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

siRNA control (scramble seq) causing cell death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 than4

than4

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

I am trying to knockdown several proteins of interest to see what effect knocking them down has on cell death.
However, my control scramble sequence is causing more death than any of the knockdown siRNA's.
I know it must be the scramble sequence as a transfection control with Lipofectamine 2000 but no siRNA is fine.

I'm not sure what approach to take next as I can't get any meaningful results from my siRNA's until the scramble is not causing any effects. Should I try a different transfection reagent? I have tried two different concentrations of siRNA and get a similar result with both concentrations.

Thanks for any help!

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

First, have you done a blast search to see if your control siRNA matches to any other sequences in the genome?

Even there is no significant homology with other sequences, it is known that some siRNA sequences could have sequence non-specific cytotoxic or immunostimulating effects. If that is the case you should switch to another control siRNA.

#3 than4

than4

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

It was a stock sequence siRNA I bought from the company when I bought my siRNA's. I have contacted them, turns out that sometimes the scramble sequence is "toxic" to cells. They are sending me an alternative scramble sequence to try free of charge.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.