• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Phospho-proteins

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yoshimi79

yoshimi79

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

Does anyone have any tricks for Western blotting for Phospho-proteins? I'm looking at several different phosphorylated proteins in tissue samples and seeing a lot of variability.
Sample prep, Buffers, Transfer, freeze/thaw, boiling etc etc
I use protease phosphatase inhibitors in the homenization/lysis buffer, TBST and water to wash, and milk to block. Background is not an issue. Just highly variable signal

#2 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

Does anyone have any tricks for Western blotting for Phospho-proteins? I'm looking at several different phosphorylated proteins in tissue samples and seeing a lot of variability.
Sample prep, Buffers, Transfer, freeze/thaw, boiling etc etc
I use protease phosphatase inhibitors in the homenization/lysis buffer, TBST and water to wash, and milk to block. Background is not an issue. Just highly variable signal

what do you mean by variability? does the same sample of cell preparation give diffrent results? phosphosignal detection is more sensitive than normal protein staining by antibodies; one has to be careful with loading and amount of protein per lane

#3 yoshimi79

yoshimi79

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

The same sample can give variable results between runs. Nothing extreme, but the error seems to be larger with the phospho proteins. I don't always normalize the sample concentrations before loading...

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

i know you said that background is not a problem but milk contains a lot of phosphoprotein (casein) and may be having an effect on your western.

are you preparing your antibody solutions with block? the antibodies may be attenuated.

try using bsa to block.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.