• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

bands of protein seems like it did not move

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zienpiggie

zienpiggie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

Hi all,

I'm pretty new at western blotting and I am trying to detect this protein with a size of approx 60 kDa, but when ubiquitinated it will be approx. 100 kDa. I ran my first blot the other day but did not find any bands at either 60 kDa or 100 kDa, but more all the way up there to a point that I concluded that my protein most likely did not travel across the gel. It was 10% running gel for a 60-100 kDa so I thought the gel concentration should be fine. The actin band for example was right where I expected it to be. I then thought it was due to dimerization as the protein naturally is associated with other protein in cytoplasm, so then I thought may be I haven't denatured it enough. It was boiled for 2 minutes prior to loading. I am just wondering if anyone has experience with such observation?

Thank you.

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,804 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:13 AM

you could try heating the sample at 65C for 10-20 minutes instead of boiling. sometimes boiling will cause the protein to aggregate, even in the presence of sds and reducing agent.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 zienpiggie

zienpiggie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 139 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

Thanks mdfenko. I'll give it a try.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.