• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

NP40 or Triton as membrane protein detergent

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jasmina

jasmina

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:33 AM

Hi,
Im using ripa buffer to solubilize brain membrane protein.
I checked ripa components of others!, im wondering if NP40 is better than tritonX-100 for my case.
If someone knows about detergent efficient for membran protein solubilization, please, let me know
thanks

#2 DaveD

DaveD

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hi Luciana,

check out the NP40 vs. TritonX-100 messy area of nomenclature.

Although NP40 is a good general detergent to solubilize membrane proteins, you often have to optimize the solubilization conditons. Detergent is only one factor. There's also time, temperature and the solution properties (salt, pH etc.).
In the end it depends, what you're planning to do with the extracted membrane protein sample. If the goal is to get the target protein onto a western you could go with 15%SDS (plus 5% dodecylmaltoside may be a good idea). If you want to carefully solubilize the target protein in its functional state, then you may need to optimize. This can be done with a screen of detergents and extraction conditions.
Check with Dilyx' solubilization screens - they'll be offering a membrane protein solubilization screen.

Cheers,
David

Hi,
Im using ripa buffer to solubilize brain membrane protein.
I checked ripa components of others!, im wondering if NP40 is better than tritonX-100 for my case.
If someone knows about detergent efficient for membran protein solubilization, please, let me know
thanks

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.