• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Spammer nikecnshoes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

There is a spammer flooding all the Methods forums with advertisments.

http://www.protocol-...view=getnewpost

and so on.

Please delete him.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#2 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

yeah, he posted everywhere.

I think the mods will delete his account and his posts.
I do hope so anyway.

#3 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

even here in the Suggestion subforum...:D...there shld be a better way to screen them out....

@bioforum: perhaps the forum shld have a policy of not allowing to post any links during the first 24 or 48 hours after registering or until one has become an active member only....nickenboos managed to pull a real fast one on us so with this new policy, at least he/she/it would have to wait a little bit... ;)

Edited by casandra, 21 April 2010 - 07:13 AM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#4 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

even here in the Suggestion subforum...:(...there shld be a better way to screen them out....

@bioforum: perhaps the forum shld have a policy of not allowing to post any links during the first 24 or 48 hours after registering or until one has become an active member only....nickenboos managed to pull a real fast one on us so with this new policy, at least he/she/it would have to wait a little bit... :)

I was thinkin the same: when registering, you need to wait 12 hours or 24 hours before you are able to post.

Or maybe instead of being able to post, they should make a limit like : maximum 2 posts the first 24 hours.

Letting people post only after they become a regular member is hard I think, because in order to become a regular member you need to post :) (or is there another rule to become a regular member?)

#5 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:17 AM

Require email validation before account is active?

#6 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

Letting people post only after they become a regular member is hard I think, because in order to become a regular member you need to post :D (or is there another rule to become a regular member?)

:) I meant, a new member shldn’t be allowed to insert links (not posts) in the first 24 or 48 hours. What good’s a spammer without his links and I doubt if patience is considered a virtue there. Not that it would stop them though bec they’ve become quite ingenious and right now, they spam with impunity.

The occasional wayward one or two spam posts are not that annoying IMO or I’d have find it more amusing if spam dude/dudette/bothead jazzed it up a little bit e.g. you can solve all your gel running problems by wearing Nike shoes <check link>….your primer pair don’t work? Then try our own Timberland pair <check link> etc. :blink:….but to systematically post in each subforum from top to bottom (like what nikenshoos did) was really too much (Off with his spamming head). HB’s suggestion is also worth a try.

#7 Lapsang

Lapsang

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

On a forum I moderate, I check all new members on StopForumSpam and BotScout before activating their account (you can't post until a moderator or administrator has activated you).

I believe they also have lists etc you can download and use which prevent known spammers from registering successfully. And you're already required to validate your own account by e-mail (or at least I was), which probably means you're doing enough already.

The problem with using a time limit before you let people post is that many of these kinds of spammers are actually automated programs, not people sitting behind a screen. A spambot has all the patience in the world.

Edited by Lapsang, 23 April 2010 - 09:34 AM.

#8 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,034 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

On a forum I moderate, I check all new members on StopForumSpam and BotScout before activating their account (you can't post until a moderator or administrator has activated you).

I believe they also have lists etc you can download and use which prevent known spammers from registering successfully. And you're already required to validate your own account by e-mail (or at least I was), which probably means you're doing enough already.

The problem with using a time limit before you let people post is that many of these kinds of spammers are actually automated programs, not people sitting behind a screen. A spambot has all the patience in the world.

Hi Lapsang and welcome to Bioforum...you're probably right about the spambot's saintly patience :P. Actually, I can understand why we don't have a time limit before posting or a wait period policy for new members cos many new people who come here need help urgently (and then some disappear quite fast after they get their answers :wacko:) so can you imagine if they may have to wait a week or so before they can post their inquiries? Anyways, spamming is not that common an occurrence here esp the likes of this nike invasion…I guess it’s because Bioforum and the mods are doing a great job….(is the apple shiny enough?)

Edited by casandra, 23 April 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#9 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,267 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Are those spambots fully automated programs then?

If so then let them, when registering, solve a simple math question.
Some universities us that system too when looking up names for their emailadress: you need to solve a question like 3+2 before you can see their emailadress :D ^
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.