• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PCR additives Formamide

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 biomolpal1

biomolpal1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

Hi,
I was using a 50% formamide from a Sigma Optimization kit II, and it really was beneficial to improve my multiplex PCR.
Running out of this reagents, we decided to use a in house formamide (Highly deionized usually used in sequencing gel) which did not work out...then we ordered 100ml Formamide from Sigma (after consulting the UK and Europe customer service)...and again it was more detrimental to my PCR than anything else.
The EUrope customer service told us that it was the only product available but that it was not the same as in the PCR OPT kit, because it was a deionized formamide!

anybody knows about formamide as an additive to PCR? product out there that are adapted to PCR optimization? where could I find it??

thanks a lot,
any comments, answer to help would be great!

Edited by biomolpal1, 08 April 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Try DMSO and BSA.... or combination of both.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 tea-test

tea-test

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 169 posts
Good

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

hi i have found a supplier here, its formamide designated for PCR: http://www.qbiogene..../pcr/dmso.shtml

but i don't know if it works.
tea-test: The artist formerly known as Ned Land

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,377 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Or try 3-6% of a 1M betaine solution (my favorite).

#5 biomolpal1

biomolpal1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:07 AM

Thanks a lot for that,
I think I migth try it!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.