• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Is there a problem by adding HCL to the cell culture medium in order to manipula

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fernanda

Fernanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

I need to keep my endothelial cells for a long time (about 20 days) in a low pH condition
these cells can only survive for a longer time in EGM medium, keep these cells in DMEM usually results in cell death whitin 4 days
the EGM medium is supplemented with bicarbonate as buffer and unfortunately the company (Lanza) doesn't offer one without buffer
so I'm adding 1N HCl solution to decrease the pH of the medium to 7
Does someone know if this can cause any problem to my culture condition, besides the acidosis, or with I need to check any parameter like osmolarity?

I really appreciate any help and sugestions
thank :)

#2 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hi,

I need to keep my endothelial cells for a long time (about 20 days) in a low pH condition
these cells can only survive for a longer time in EGM medium, keep these cells in DMEM usually results in cell death whitin 4 days
the EGM medium is supplemented with bicarbonate as buffer and unfortunately the company (Lanza) doesn't offer one without buffer
so I'm adding 1N HCl solution to decrease the pH of the medium to 7
Does someone know if this can cause any problem to my culture condition, besides the acidosis, or with I need to check any parameter like osmolarity?

I really appreciate any help and sugestions
thank :lol:

the osmolarity should be in the range of 300 mOsmol; so you can estimate the change of osmolarity by titration (or by an osmometer, of course)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.