• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Non-deacetylable Protein?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rocketfan86

rocketfan86

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi all. I am wondering if there is such a way to have a PTM 'permanent' on a protein?

I am wanting to look at APE1 acetylation and is it possible to generate the acetylation to where it cannot be removed?

Thanks in advance.

#2 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:15 AM

Hi all. I am wondering if there is such a way to have a PTM 'permanent' on a protein?

I am wanting to look at APE1 acetylation and is it possible to generate the acetylation to where it cannot be removed?

Thanks in advance.

Well, you can create a mutant mimicking an constitutive acetylation status. If you know the lysine/s that are acetylated you can change them from K to Q
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#3 rocketfan86

rocketfan86

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

Thanks in advance.

Well, you can create a mutant mimicking an constitutive acetylation status. If you know the lysine/s that are acetylated you can change them from K to Q

Hi there. Can you explain how glutamine acts as an acetylation mark? Thanks.

#4 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:25 AM

Thanks in advance.

Hi there. Can you explain how glutamine acts as an acetylation mark? Thanks.

It mimicks an Ac-K. It is the classical way to check the function of an acetylation site. You change the K to A/R to create a non-acetylable mutant and you change K to Q to create the Acetyl-mimic mutant. It is similar that the mutations to create phospho mutants or phospho-mimic mutants.
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.